...

Logo Mercure blois centre
in partnership with
Logo Nextory

At least 13 people killed by Israeli forces during raid on a southern Syrian village

• Nov 29, 2025, 8:19 AM
3 min de lecture
1

Israeli forces have killed at least 13 people, including women and children, in their deadliest attack on Syria since they seized southern part of the country a year ago.

According to Syrian officials and state news agency SANA, Israeli forces raided the village of Beit Jin seeking to detain local men, but opened fire when they were confronted by residents on Friday, also causing dozens of families to flee the area. Syria's Foreign Ministry defined the attack as a "horrific massacre".

Israel said on Friday that it had carried out an operation in Beit Jin to apprehend members of the Jamaa Islamiya militant group who were planning IED and rocket attacks into Israel. It said other militants opened fire on the troops, injuring six soldiers, and that forces returned fire, supported by aircraft. According to Israel, the operation has now ended, all suspects have been detained and several militants were killed.

A local official, Walid Okasha, told The AP that those killed were civilians. Victims also included a couple and their two children, as well as the children's uncle and another man who had married the previous day.

Firas Daher, a Beit Jin resident, said that troops moved in around 3 a.m. and encountered “slight resistance, with light weapons.” He said Israeli forces responded with drones, helicopters and heavy machine-gun fire. “Whenever anyone moved inside the village, or any car moved, it would get hit. When we tried to take injured people to the hospital, they struck the car carrying them,” he said.

Since the fall of former Syrian President Bashar Assad in December 2024, Israeli forces have seized a stretch of southern Syria that once formed part of a UN-monitored buffer zone created under a 1974 disengagement agreement.

Israeli troops have since carried out regular operations in towns and villages both inside and beyond the zone, including raids to capture people it accuses of being militants. Israel has also conducted hundreds of airstrikes on Syrian military sites and has pushed for a demilitarised area south of Damascus.

Armed residents have confronted Israeli raids several times. In April, troops stormed the town of Nawa and, after being challenged by locals, carried out airstrikes that killed nine people. A month earlier, Israeli forces killed six people during similar clashes in the village of Koayiah.

During a previous raid in Beit Jin in June, Israeli forces detained several people it described as Hamas members, a claim disputed by locals, and killed a man whose family said suffered from schizophrenia.

On Friday, Syria's government urged the international community to take “urgent action” to stop Israeli operations whilst condemning the incursion as a violation of national sovereignty.

Tensions rose further in the region earlier this week when an Israeli strike in Beirut killed a senior Hezbollah official described by Israel as the group’s chief of staff.

On Tuesday, the United Nations said Israel had killed at least 127 civilians, including children, in its strikes on Lebanon since the ceasefire a year ago.


Today

Latest news bulletin | November 29th, 2025 – Midday
• 11:00 AM
1 min
Catch up with the most important stories from around Europe and beyond this November 29th, 2025 - latest news, breaking news, World, Business, Entertainment, Politics, Culture, Travel.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https
Read the article
US halts all asylum decisions days after National Guard shot dead near White House
• 10:09 AM
3 min
On top of the pause on all asylum decisions, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said his department paused 'visa issuance for ALL individuals traveling on Afghan passport'.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.euronews.
Read the article
Mass protests in the central German town of Giessen against new AfD youth group
• 9:25 AM
7 min
Demonstrators have blocked roads at 16 points around Giessen, while the first AfD delegates arrive under police protection. Up to 50,000 participants are expected for the day. The situation in the morning.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__b
Read the article
At least 13 people killed by Israeli forces during raid on a southern Syrian village
• 8:19 AM
3 min
At least 13 people have been killed including women and children by Israeli forces during a raid on a southern Syrian village. One local man said 'When we tried to take injured people to the hospital, they struck the car carrying them'.<div class="small-1
Read the article
Travel disruption: Thousands of Airbus planes grounded after faulty software detected
• 7:13 AM
3 min
Airlines have been forced to ground thousands of Airbus planes following a software problem possibly linked to an aircraft's sudden loss of altitude last month.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.euronews.com/2025
Read the article
Latest news bulletin | November 29th, 2025 – Morning
• 6:00 AM
1 min
Catch up with the most important stories from around Europe and beyond this November 29th, 2025 - latest news, breaking news, World, Business, Entertainment, Politics, Culture, Travel.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https
Read the article