...

Logo Yotel Air CDG
in partnership with
Logo Nextory

Ceuta authorities bury migrants who died in border rush from Morocco

• Aug 22, 2026, 9:13 AM
3 min de lecture
1

Against the murmur of prayers, body bags were lowered into graves marked only with numbers.

Gravediggers placed the first four victims in cinderblock plots while a small group of locals watched at a cemetery on the tip of North Africa.

The dead, whose identities are unknown, were among the more than 90 migrants who lost their lives during Spain’s deadliest border crisis three weeks ago.

Fueled by misinformation, poverty and a lack of opportunities, more than 72,000 people poured into Ceuta, a Spanish territory that neighbors Morocco.

At Ceuta’s Muslim cemetery, 18 migrants were laid to rest on Friday.

An Islamic cleric read prayers and chants praising God while funeral workers worked quickly to lower the white body bags and cover them with soil. More migrants are expected to be buried soon.

The Moroccan Association for Human Rights, a left-leaning nongovernmental organization, called for the burials in Ceuta to be halted until every effort had been made to identify the bodies and repatriate them to Morocco, the country of origin for most of the migrants who made the perilous journey.

Many of those who died drowned or were killed in a stampede to cross a breakwater barrier near a border checkpoint.

In a statement, the NGO asked Morocco's foreign ministry to ensure that “the bodies are returned to the families so they can be buried with dignity.”

It called the burials in Ceuta a “new human tragedy,” adding to the “disaster of displacement and missing persons."

A spokesperson for Ceuta’s city government said last week the paperwork to repatriate the bodies of the deceased was complete, but that Morocco’s government hadn't accepted it.

Morocco’s foreign ministry didn't respond to questions from The Associated Press about the burials that started on Friday in Ceuta or suggestions that Morocco is blocking the repatriation of identified migrant bodies.

While most of those who crossed into Ceuta in late July returned to Morocco almost immediately, local authorities say that between 9,000 and 10,000 migrants - including women and children - have stayed on in the small Spanish city, prolonging a humanitarian crisis as authorities and locals struggle to shelter and attend to them.

Spain's national government cites a lower figure of around 5,000 people.

Moroccan and Spanish authorities have blamed social media rumors and human smuggling networks for the deadly event, while migrants cited unemployment and low wages as reasons for why they made the journey.

All of those buried on Friday were men, said Said Mohammed, the cemetery’s acting manager.

The graves were marked with numbered stones in case families claim the bodies in the future, he said.

Under Islamic custom, a body is placed in a grave facing Mecca, as was the case with the migrants buried in Ceuta.

Just across the sea lay mainland Europe - their desired destination.


Today

Ebola: Artisanal miners keep digging for gold despite virus risk
• 3:23 PM
3 min
Artisanal gold mining in Congo draws a highly mobile workforce as miners travel across the region in search of gold, and between mining areas and population centers to trade the mineral<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="http
Read the article
Alarm as bush fires ravage Burundi's Ruvubu National Park
• 1:53 PM
1 min
More than 10,000 hectares of Ruvubu National Park have been destroyed by bushfires. Understaffed and under equipped, park rangers are constantly battling the flames with little success<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https
Read the article
Youth caravan steps up Ebola awareness amid attacks on response teams
• 10:52 AM
2 min
Response teams in Ituri and North Kivu provinces have faced intense mistrust, fueled by rumors and misinformation, in a region also torn by violence from multiple armed groups<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.af
Read the article
Ethiopia: Tigrayan women celebrate Ashenda amid fears of new war
• 8:23 AM
2 min
In Addis Ababa, Tigrayan women gather to celebrate Ashenda, while expressing hopes for lasting peace in Ethiopia's Tigray region, where recent drone strikes on the regional capital Mekella have renewed fears of conflict after the devastating 2020-2022 war
Read the article
DRC: Ex-president Kabila challenges US sanctions in court
• 7:13 AM
1 min
In a suit before a court in Washington, Joseph Kabila who led Congo from 2001 to 2019 contends that his blacklisting by the Office of Foreign Assets Control  (OFAC) in April was based on unsubstantiated allegations<div class="small-12 column text-center a
Read the article