...

Logo Pasino du Havre - Casino-Hôtel - Spa
in partnership with
Logo Nextory

Israel steps up bombardment of Gaza City ahead of its new offensive

• Aug 28, 2025, 7:23 PM
2 min de lecture
1

Israeli tanks have pushed into a new areas on the edge of Gaza City as it steps up its bombardment of the Palestinian urban centre.

Residents in suburbs on the outskirts said tanks shelled houses, forcing people who were caught by surprise to move deeper into the city.

Israel is preparing to launch a new offensive in the city, which it has described as the last stronghold of the militant group, Hamas.

There has been widespread international calls for it to desist, amid fears this would result in a large number of casualties.

More than one million Palestinian are sheltering in Gaza City and there are fears they will be forced to flee again.

As aid workers warned a new offensive could worsen the humanitarian crisis, plumes of smoke could be seen rising behind tents and buildings on Thursday.

Whole neighbourhoods lie in ruins and famine has been officially declared in the city.

Late in the day, local medical officials said at more than 50 people had been killed across the enclave since dawn.

Also on Thursday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the campaign “signals a new and dangerous phase of the war” that will have devastating consequences.

He also said UN-led humanitarian efforts in the enclave were being blocked or delayed and that people were dying of hunger as a "result of deliberate decisions that defy basic humanity".

Israel has denied trying to starve Gaza and has dismissed a report by a global hunger monitor that found that Gaza City and surrounding areas are suffering from famine.

Meanwhile, earlier this week South Africa called on Israel to accept a ceasefire negotiated by Egypt and Qatar, which has already been approved by Hamas.

Israel has not responded to the proposal for a 60-day ceasefire that would allow for the return of some of the Israeli hostages.

Israel's offensive has killed nearly 63,000 Palestinians during the war, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which says around half were women and children.

The agency does not distinguish between fighters and civilians in its count.

Hamas-led militants abducted 251 people and killed around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, in the 7 October 2023, attack that triggered the war.

Most of the hostages have been released in ceasefires or other deals. Of the 50 remaining in Gaza, Israel believes around 20 are alive.


Today

In South Sudan's Tambura region, displaced women battle uncertainty and insecurity
• 9:11 AM
3 min
Since violence erupted in Tambura, Western Equatoria, in 2021, thousands of civilians have been forced to flee their homes and seek sanctuary in displacement camps, where women still face a fragile security situation and uncertainty for the future of thei
Read the article
Kagame, Chapo depen Military and Economic Cooperation
• 8:25 AM
1 min
Apologies for not having any suggestions for the newsdesk this morning. I’ve been fully focused on Business Africa these past few days, actively scouting for stories and interviews.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://
Read the article
Families leave Gaza City ahead of expanded Israeli offensive
• 7:40 AM
1 min
Plumes of smoke rose over Gaza on Friday as Israel prepared for an expanded offensive in the territory, warning Gaza City could face destruction in the coming days.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.euronews.com/
Read the article
South Africa prepares for historic first G20 summit in Africa
• 6:04 AM
1 min
A major question marking the countdown is whether U.S. President Donald Trump will attend. He has expressed strong disapproval of South African policies—particularly land reform—and signaled he might send a representative instead.<div class="small-12 colu
Read the article
Russia slams European push to reimpose UN sanctions on Iran
• 5:42 AM
1 min
Russia, set to assume the UN Security Council presidency in October, has proposed extending the resolution that governs the snapback mechanism, potentially intensifying a diplomatic standoff with European powers.<div class="small-12 column text-center art
Read the article