...

Logo Pasino du Havre - Casino-Hôtel - Spa
in partnership with
Logo Nextory

Military officers say they have taken full control of Guinea-Bissau

• Nov 26, 2025, 6:09 PM
2 min de lecture
1

Soldiers in Guinea-Bissau appeared Wednesday on state television saying they have taken control of the country.

In a statement, the military high command said it had “assumed the full powers of the State of the Republic of Guinea-Bissau”.

It said this was in reaction to “the discovery of an ongoing plan” aiming to destabilise the country by attempting to “manipulate electoral results".

The military’s announcement came a day after both the top candidates in last week’s tightly contested presidential election declared victory.

Earlier in the day, shots were heard at several sites in the capital, Bissau, including the presidential palace, although it’s unclear who was responsible.

Military spokesperson, Dinis N’Tchama, said the soldiers had formed “the high military command for the restoration of order”, which would rule the country until further notice.

"To suspend, until new orders, all of the institutions of the Republic of Guinea-Bissau, to suspend, until new orders, the activities of all media outlets, to immediately suspend the current electoral process, to close the land border, by sea and national airspace," he said.

Journalists in the capital reported seeing roads leading to the presidential palace closed off, with checkpoints manned by heavily armed and masked soldiers.

Outgoing President Umaro Sissoco Embaló and opposition candidate Fernando Dias da Costa both claimed to have won last week’s election.

The election commission was due to announce provisional results in the presidential and parliamentary elections on Thursday.

A key member of the international election observer group said the election commission chief was arrested and that the commission office was sealed off by the military.

French news outlet, Jeune Afrique, quoted Embaló as saying he was arrested in what he called a coup led by the army chief of staff. He said he was not subjected to violence.

He had faced a legitimacy crisis with the opposition saying his tenure had long expired and that they do not recognise him as president.

Embaló came to power in February 2020, but the country’s constitution sets the presidential term at five years.

The military takeover is the latest in a string of coups and attempted coups in Guinea-Bissau since it gained independence from Portugal in 1974.


Today

Former Nigerian President condemns “ceremonial coup” in Guinea-Bissau
• 10:42 AM
1 min
Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has criticized Guinea-Bissau’s recent military takeover, describing it as a “ceremonial coup” after soldiers appeared on state television claiming control of the country.<div class="small-12 column text-center a
Read the article
Zuma’s daughter resigns amid claims South Africans were lured into Ukraine War
• 9:10 AM
1 min
The daughter of former South African President Jacob Zuma, Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla, has stepped down from Parliament amid mounting controversy over allegations that she played a role in luring South African men into fighting for Russia in the war in Ukrain
Read the article
South Africa: Arrests as Operation Dudula protesters clash with police
• 8:06 AM
2 min
The anti-migrant group said they wanted to draw global attention to local challenges, including high crime and unemployment.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.africanews.com/2025/11/23/south-africa-arrests-as-ope
Read the article
G20 leaders in South Africa adopt declaration despite US opposition
• 8:06 AM
1 min
The United States is boycotting the two-day talks in Johannesburg over a diplomatic rift with the host country.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.africanews.com/2025/11/23/g20-leaders-in-south-africa-adopt-declar
Read the article
G20 Summit: Russia denounces 'illegitimate, unilateral' sanctions
• 8:04 AM
2 min
Maxim Oreshkin, the deputy chief of staff of the Presidential Executive Office also slammed the financial aid provided to Ukraine.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.africanews.com/2025/11/22/g20-summit-russia-den
Read the article
G20 summit in South Africa adopts declaration despite US boycott
• 8:04 AM
2 min
In a breakaway from tradition, world leaders of the G20 adopted a declaration at the start of the summit.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.africanews.com/2025/11/22/g20-summit-in-south-africa-adopts-declaration-
Read the article
UN chief António Guterres calls on G20 leaders to tackle trade inequalities
• 8:04 AM
2 min
The UN Secretary-General said trade barriers consistently place developing countries at a disadvantage.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.africanews.com/2025/11/22/un-chief-antonio-guterres-calls-on-g20-leaders-t
Read the article
South African women protest gender-based violence ahead of G20 summit
• 8:04 AM
3 min
Women gathered across several South African cities to stage lie-down protests.<div class="small-12 column text-center article__button"><a href="https://www.africanews.com/2025/11/22/south-african-women-protest-gender-based-violence-ahead-of-g20-summit/?ut
Read the article
Serbia and DR Congo deepen partnership in Belgrade summit
• 7:30 AM
1 min
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić rolls out the red carpet for his DRC counterpart Félix Antoine Tshisekedi, welcoming the leader with full state honors. The two holding talks focused on strengthening cooperation between their countries at the Palace of
Read the article
Congo, Rwanda leaders set to sign peace agreement amid M23 tensions
• 12:05 AM
1 min
Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi will travel to the United States next week to sign a final peace agreement with his Rwandan counterpart, Paul Kagame, aimed at ending the long-running conflict in eastern Congo.<div class="small-12 column text-center art
Read the article